Sunday, March 15, 2009

Blog 3 Literary elements

In my opinion the most appealing aspect of this book is its beautiful imagery. The author does a fantastic job at describing the setting and appearance of the characters. The best example of this is how the author described the sea and all of its many different colors. He also went as far as describing the scent of the ocean surf, the sound of the waves , and the feel of the seaweed wrapped around Suleiman's legs as he swam. I loved the part of the seaweed because I can definitely relate e to Suleiman's fear of the weeds, because growing up I was also very scared of the weeds and I was always careful to avoid those areas while tubing swimming. Another great example of the beautiful imagery that the author uses is the description of the afternoon. When Suleiman tried walking across the roof I could almost feel my feet burning and in my mind I could very clearly see the heat waves rise off the roof in the heat of the mid day sun. Then when the boysenberry's were described I caught myself almost drooling on the pages of the book. I especially liked the fact that he described the Berry's as being gifts of the angels that felt bad for Adam and Eve. All in all so far I really like the imagery of this novel.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to the walk across the roof too. Living in India, and visiting temples (where shoes aren't allowed), I could recall times when I would walk on the sides of my feet to avoid the heat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the part where he smelt the sea. It involves the reader a lot more. I think it would have been even cooler if he could taste the spray on his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the imagery in this book because with no previous interaction with many of the topics in this book so you need great description. It is very exciting that this book describes it well for you because that makes the book all the better

    ReplyDelete